Sunday, February 28, 2016

Well, how wrong was I?

It does pay to test your theories, I must say. After doing the circular spin with the mold, I thought most patterns would end up looking fairly similar. Looking anywhere for inspiration, I though I would test this tonight, although I did change one fairly major factor. To avoid being overrun with soap, I made individual soaps instead of putting each pattern into the larger 9x9 inch mold. That must make a significant difference because of the distance the soap will move around the periphery of a large mold versus a much much smaller 3x3 mold. However, I noticed that the middle 3x3 inch square in the middle of the large mold moved very little when I made the prior soaps so I wasn't certain what would happen in the indies. Okay, this was a fairly crappy experiment because I changed the mold size and I also changed the way I circled the mold. With the 9x9, I moved the mold in fairly large circles, briskly, and with the individual ones, I moved the mold in very small tight circles, briskly. I didn't think about it but I automatically adjusted the size of the circle to the cavity size. So what would happen if I took my large mold and made tiny fast circles with it? That remains to be seen.

At any rate, I used very fluid batter for these. The first was poured so it had green and black vertical lines of various thickness. The second was poured in an X pattern with a stripe of black overlaid with a stripe of green that ran from corner to corner, then a stripe of black overlaid with green was poured to run between the other corners. I made many layers. The third was poured as a bunch of random bullseyes, black first and the green poured in the middle of that. The bottom was a mess because my black soap would not run down the straw to lay it in the mold and just kept pouring all over (the cup of batter was extremely full) but I eventually got it. There was no specific pattern to the black-outlined green dots on the surface. The fourth was poured as a mantra with black on the sides and green in the middle, then swirled from side to side and then I put an eyelet swirl on top. The pattern was asymmetric before spinning. The fifth was poured in a bullseye or faux funnel right into the middle. The bands of green were very thin as I had a fair amount of black left comparatively but  saved a spot of green with a black center for the very middle. Hardly anything happened there and I can't see any of the thin green bands right now but they may show themselves if I slice the top of the bar off.

What differences! And given that there was no symmetry at all before spinning in 1, 3, and 4, they came out remarkably symmetrical. Number 2, the X pattern, sounds like it would be symmetric and parts of it were, but the last line of green and black lay crosswise and was not interrupted as all the others were. The bullseye was very symmetric but I can't see any of the detail yet. I used low water, which seems to keep the colors more distinct from each other so I'm hopeful I will see something when I lop the top quarter inch off that bar. What would happen with any of these patterns in the larger mold and using larger circles? I may have to find out tomorrow.

1). Vertical lines (excuse the blob of black on the top)
2) X's
3) Random bullseyes
4) Mantra- asymmetric pattern
5) Faux funnel with very thin lines.







No comments :

Post a Comment