Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Spin Swirl

It's always fun to look for new takes on a technique or to use it to make something a bit different than the standard. Our forum's challenge this month is spin swirls but it's not a personal favorite of mine; I don't know why that is but to me they tend to all look alike. WHen Great Cakes did their challenge, I loved the soap Claudia made  because it was a novel take on the techniques and looked very different from other people's; I admire her innovation. I didn't want to make the standard spin pattern and I had been looking at pictures of the universe, which included galaxies and their delicate arms whirling into space. That was a picture worth trying to get.

I was so pleased when it was done. I took a thin slice off the top since the tops are often slightly muddled and although it was not what was in mind's eye, I am happy with the outcome. It is very difficult to get a picture of, though. Outside, the light has been so flat that the pictures look dulled. Using a flash inside means I have to take the picture at an angle because head-on, the flash bounces off it too much. There is some heavy gray gray extremely sparkling gray mica in parts which looks cool, but alas, I can't capture it.







My aunt, Dierdre Luzwick, is an artist who works in charcoal and her artworks is very very detailed. Not that a soap can hold a candle to her art or the work she put into it, when I look at my soap, it makes me think of her.






No comments :

Post a Comment