Friday, July 15, 2016

Ooooooooo.......

I have hardly been making soap lately but I got back on the bandwagon last night. I made two batches using the same colors but different techniques just to give some comparison. One batch isn't very interesting but I LOVE this one! I love the shapes and interactions of the colors. I was using an accelerating FO so hand stirred only and it was definitely at trace but still, I waited 9-10 hours to try to gel it. It didn't seem to get that hot but I see I got "glycerine rivers" or "stearic streaks" (our resident chemist has explained why these are complete misnomers but the terms seem to stick). However, I like the effect they add to this particular soap. I may try again tonight and see how it looks if I can prevent those; would I like it as well or less well? I like variations within colors and shading and this kind of reminds me of high/low water soaps although that is not the cause of this effect.

I just cut and grabbed a few cell phone pictures. I'll have to find my regular camera to see if I can represent them any better.



 
Some more variations of a Ribbon Pour, in addition to the above:




2 comments :

  1. Your ribbon pour is a neat technique. I am thinking of trying this next. I've been off soaping a while, but this is on my to do list when I get active again. Thanks for the videos of it too! Love seeing someone show a new technique and actually explaining it in detail for others to recreate it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. The forum is full of people willing to share and show so it's nice to give back.

    ReplyDelete