Wednesday, September 2, 2015

ITP pours

I have tried a number of ITP pours and it's a great technique. I've been surprised how many looks you can get with it, dependent on pretty much every variable in soap; trace, how you pour one soap into another, how you lay soap out in the bowl you use for pouring, the size of the pouring stream, addition of thinner and thicker soap, even mica in oils.

Some time ago, I made this soap which did not according to plan- can you imagine? It got much thicker than I intended and it was a little difficult to pour. I also overused the charcoal so you can tell that when you wash with it. Nonetheless, after stumbling upon it in the recesses of my soap shelves, I remember that I really like the effect. It's different, for certain, not smooth and flowing and the shapes and colors are amorphous in many spots but that is just what I like about it. It makes me think of some dreams. When you try to explain them, what seemed clear gets much less so and things get blurred and less than linear. Some things stand out and seem sharp and other aspects of the dream seem beyond your grasp, like they are behind a veil and you can't quite make out the details. I don't sell so I don't name my soaps, but I'd go with some sort of reference to dreams on this one, I think.

The three bars are from the same batch. The last one is cut from the loaf differently, so you get a completely different look.




It should be noted that using a bad color combo with this technique can result in vomit-inducing soap,

but a good one can yield a very interesting soap.

Some other looks from ITP pours:







Sometimes the sides look better than the insides because of the blurring. I occasionally forget how fun ITP's can be and I'm brainstorming on how to get even more variation from it. Hopefully I will have something different looking to post by week's end.

No comments :

Post a Comment