Sunday, January 31, 2016

Experimenting

Trying to capture a Northern Lights feel in a soap is more difficult that I thought. I've been trying for some time without results that have been satisfying. I feel close but not there. I cut one of my attempts thinly and back lit it and it's not bad, but I think I need more green soap and less black and greener green soap. I thought about the idea of M&P and wondered if it might be useful, although when I've seen the Northern Lights, I haven't thought transparency as much as been fascinated with the shapes and curtain-like effect it can have.

At any rate, I have added M&P to CP soap only a few times with okay results but this time I blended melted M&P into CP batter, wondering if it would change the CP and make it more translucent. AN interesting experiment, to be sure, and it requires more attempts. I'm afraid both of my tries got very very hot in gel which may have altered my results. In the green one, it seems like the M&P precipitated out, to the bottom but I got an interesting rocky kind of look, which I like. In the other, I used an FO that accelerated more than I anticipated, probably because I had to soap fairly hot so I could blend in the M&P so I got this wad of blue and violet soap. I had been looking at pictures of the universe and wanted to get a gas cloud effect, not a gas blob effect, plus either there was a bit of separation or a couple blobs of M&P melted away. The soap got smoking hot! It's kind of ugly, the universe soap, which is unfair because the universe is stunning and I hope some universal force does not smite me for the misrepresentation. If I'm found dead in my house, smoking at the ears, you will know what happened and beware.








I did manage to make a very nice normal soap, but it's for a challenge and I shall post it later, plus I have to get decent pics of it.

No comments :

Post a Comment