Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Is the Time just Ripe?

Throughout the history of the inventiveness of man, there are numerous examples of new creations coming out simultaneously from people widely separated by place, culture, age. It makes a person wonder if there is some sort of collective intelligence or readiness, similar to the developmental milestones of children.

Now, soap will not advance us in the same way that 3D printing may but nonetheless, looking for novel techniques and more information to be put to use to create something a little different is sought after. Although it creates plenty of uglies, I love to experiment to see if a new pattern or technique is lurking in my kitchen, waiting for me to uncover it it a blitzkrieg of soaping.

Currently I am looking for some interesting patterns for slab soaps. In working on various combinations, I have come to realize that some patterns look better on the entire slab than in bar form and others seem to lack something on the slab but are good show-offs on a bar.

I made this soap today, feeling convinced it would be a great pattern. It's not bad and may be better with a different lay-out and choice of colors, but I think it will great as single bars.


A closer pic:


This is an example of a soap that looks good as a whole but looses a little when cut into bars:



I made this soap in April and posted it on a soap forum. Click here. The technique of circling the mold works well with this type of mold and gave interesting effects when I cut through the middle. I'm wondering it I can find an adaptation to use it with a larger slab without muddying things too much.

As I look for patterns, I hope to find some worthy of posting. Until next time, adieu.

No comments :

Post a Comment