Saturday, August 1, 2015

Trippy

I made the flip side of my blue and orange but made a mistake in subbing out one purple portion for a light green. The orange dominates far more than I had hoped. I adore orange- one of my favorite colors- so it's not that it shouldn't be orange, but I was hoping for a better balance of colors. Oddly, this is the same amount of orange as in the blue and orange soap and the same three orange tones but the difference is staggering. I used three blues in the other but in this one I used two purples and a green and same volume as in the blue and orange soap. The brightness of blue is able to break through the orange but the purples aren't able to do it even though the batter was unquestionably colored to show; I don't have a light hand with mica. I haven't thought of blue and purple as too far apart on a color wheel when thinking of contrast, but I have a lot to learn. Good experience and the soap isn't ugly so I got away with a lesson without a price.

I was also very interested to see what a difference there is when I circle the soap one way versus the other. When I swirled counter clockwise (or widdershins, thank you old English) to the stripes, the result is messier because it seems like the strokes break through the lines rather than carry them along, which seems to happen in the clockwise circles. Why? It's fairly consistent. It must be the stroke that leads to the clockwise turn that does it, so I will have to do the opposite one of these days to check it out.




No comments :

Post a Comment